Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Taking Stock Part 3: Recipes from the Fridge

home-baked mayonnaise -

     This is the third installment of  My Pantry Basics, and this time I thought we might examine the contents of my refrigerator. I make some of my own condiments, mayonnaise is at the top of the list. We use this pretty regular for various meat and pasta salads, sandwich spread, and various other cooking uses. And even though we use a goodly amount, I still recommend making mayonnaise in small quantities. It has the potential to go off rather quickly.

   I can still remember the time a jar managed its way to the back of the fridge and was forgotten. My son S. found it and proceeded to load up his sandwiches. He noticed an off taste, but he ate it anyway. Yes, he did, and he was so sick! The mayo didn't look or smell strange, but it was. Homemade goodies don't contain preservatives, and therefore must be watched a bit closer than their store-bought counterparts. Now enough of the semi- horror stories.
     The recipe below is a jumping off point. The great thing about homemade mayo is that you can play with it and create new flavors. I noticed that a manufacturer created an olive oil and black pepper mayonnaise. It was fantastic! We tried it and almost quit making our own! Then I got busy in the kitchen and made up a close facsimile and the balance in my self sufficient kitchen was returned. I replaced half of the oil for olive oil and added lots of fresh cracked black pepper into the mix. I also felt that it needed a little more lemon, so I made that adjustment later. Add herbs and spices, change up the oil, and replace the lemon juice for another acidic ingredient like plain or flavored vinegar. You really can make up so many yummy concoctions just by changing up a few ingredients!

Lucy's Homemade Mayonnaise
2 eggs
½ teaspoon dry mustard
¼ to ½ teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice (or vinegar)
2 cups vegetable oil ( try different oils to make something special)
I make this with a mixer, but you could use a blender, food processor, or even hand whip this. Put all the ingredients except the oil in a mixing bowl. Turn on the mixer and begin slowly adding oil, in little dribbles, to the egg mixture. Increase the oil little at a time in a steady stream. The mayonnaise will begin to thicken as you add more oil to the bowl. When the oil has been used up and the mixture is as thick as you desire, spoon into a reusable jar and store for up to 2 weeks in the fridge. Feel free to add other herbs and spices to this recipe. It is excellent and fresh tasting.

Traveling at the speed of life.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...