Tuesday, December 3, 2013

It's Turnip Time Again!

      Our turnip patch really surprised us last year. After the long months of drought earlier in the growing season, we had almost decided to turn everything under and retire for the year. Our little turnip patch almost wasn't. But then the rain began again and our enthusiasm was off and running... just like our turnip greens. The patch sprang to life, and soon we had more greens than I could manage. One small patch was enough to supply our household, my mom's house, my husband's parents and his three brothers, as well as my aunt and my cousin and his family with turnips and turnip greens. On the verge of Winter, the patch was still spitting out turnips at such a rate that everyone was about tired of messing with them. In fact, my brother actually said that he would be glad when the patch dried up and died. What a horrible thing to wish upon such a hard working little vegetable patch. :)
Turnip Green patch growing out by the chicken pen. (OMG! We need a new chicken pen!
     
 All the same, we have canned and frozen many, many pounds of both turnips and turnip greens, and we have eaten a fair share of them fresh as well. It occurred to me just this morning that we could have donated the turnips to a shelter or a food bank. With our mild weather, they kept producing well into January! Alas, I canned them all!
     Canning Turnips and greens (of any type) is relatively easy, but you will need a pressure canning unit. I used quart Mason jars because we need larger quantities for our own needs. You may choose to use pints, and I will give directions for both. 
     With all canning projects, begin with clean, sterilized jars. I place mine in a large kettle and allow them to boil for 10 minutes. I leave the jars in the kettle while I am filling them individually. This will keep them hot while I work. I also place my lids and bands into the hot water before I use then to prep them for the task at hand.
Jars are completely covered with hot water waiting to be filled with turnips and turnip greens.
I fill each canning jar with turnips that have been washed, peeled, cubed, and blanched. Blanching is easy. Place the raw, cubed turnips into a pot and cover them with water. Allow the pot to come to a boil, stirring occasionally. Turn off the pot, but leave the turnips in the hot liquid. The turnips are now ready to go into the sterilized jars. (Incidentally, you do the same with turnip greens. Blanch the clean turnip greens until wilted, then place into clean, sterilized jars.)  
Use a canning funnel and other canning utensils to make the job easier and to help prevent burns to your precious skin. :( I have been doing this for years and occasionally still get a boo boo. Be careful.):
Using the canning funnel and a large slotted spoon, scoop out the turnips and fill each jar to the bottom ring on the canning jar neck. This allows plenty of head space for the food to expand and contract during the pressure canning process.
 Measure a teaspoon of canning salt and pour into the jar. Now scoop out the liquid from the turnip pot and pour over the turnips, completely covering them. Next, wipe the jar rim with a clean paper towel to ensure a secure seal. Place a hot lid and a jar band on the jar and tighten the lid securely. Set this jar aside and move on to the next jar to be filled. (Do the same for Turnip Greens.)
Pressure canning can be frightening if you have never done this before. I am not going to instruct you on the ins and outs of using the device, mainly because you should have read your manual completely before using it and because different units may require different instructions and I just don't have all the information for every unit available. Do your homework and go safely with confidence!
I can tell you that I use the Ball Blue Book for a great deal of my canning instruction, and according to the BBB, when canning turnips rutabagas, or parsnips, you should follow these guidelines:
  Pints process for 30 minutes and Quarts for 35 minutes, both at 10 pounds pressure.
When canning greens of any kind, follow these guidelines: 
 Pints process for 1 hour and 10 minutes and Quarts for 1 hour and 30 minutes, both at 10 pounds pressure.

I cannot stress the importance of purchasing the right equipment and learning how to use the equipment properly before beginning any type of canning project. 

Turnips in the Raw

Finished product, ready for the pantry.

I hope you found this information helpful. If you have questions, just let me know. See Ya next time!

Traveling at the speed of life.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...