Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Busy with the Blueberries

     It's been a while since I've posted a decent piece on this blog. There is no excuse for it, just sheer laziness on my part. Well actually, it wasn't exactly laziness. I have been busier than a three-headed duck in a patch of June Bugs! No kidding! Building a homestead is hard work and we've had our share of it. we've also had a death in the family, my husband's father, and a wedding in the family, our daughter Kristy. Just about the time we finish up the wedding and things go back to normal, well... our blueberries are turning blue! See...
Here are a few that are just right for picking.



And there's so many of them! See... and this is just one little bush!

They were just catching a hint of color here.

     Everyday I go out and pick. I just absolutely love it! We planted these years ago when the kids were small. They have been in full berry production mode for some time now. Everyone told us that you couldn't grow blueberries in Tennessee, but my thinking told me that if they sell it at the garden center, there had to at least be a possibility. I was right and I have a freezer full of fruit to prove it! Now, my newly-wed daughter and I are planning to can up all of our beautiful berries, ( I am teaching her to can), and make a load of pie filling or jam. We love both and can't decide. Come back again soon.  I plan to post recipes and instructions later when we do the project. It may be a while. I just started picking the blackberries and boy am I busy! For now, these little guys are resting in the freezer.

Roll that beautiful berry footage... not really, but they are lovely.




Traveling at the speed of life.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...