Thursday, November 21, 2013

My Cool Shaker Project

My pretty new flour shaker, filled and ready for baking day.
     It is early and I am at my computer composing an article to share with my blog readers. This can mean one thing and one thing only- I was struck with mammoth insight! I immediately pulled out my scrap paper box, (doesn't everyone have a scrap paper box?), my glue and scissors, and then headed straight for the hall closet where my cleaning supplies are stored. I knew that I had saved a Parmesan cheese container with the intentions of making a carpet scent shaker. But what was a scent shaker compared to my brilliant idea de'jour? That's right- Nothing!




I like to reuse containers whenever I can.

     Okay, enough playing around. I simply had a thought about how much mess I was making when I flour my dough board, and then it hit me- a flour shaker! Actually, any project that you have that requires the distribution of a powder, (flour, confectioners sugar, seasoning blends, etc.),  would be ideal for one of these cheese shakers. And it also keeps one more piece of plastic out of the landfill.
     The project took less than 15 minutes to complete and was so easy a child could do it. (Nice gift to a family member). I removed the label and simply glued, (Elmer's), a pretty paper onto the container. I cut a few extra roses from scrap paper and glued them strategically here and there until I liked what I was looking at. I had a package of stick on lettering from my scrap booking stash, so I spelled out "Flour Shaker" on the paper, (I don't want my boys thinking it to be coffee creamer, although it could be used for that purpose). 

 I use old popcorn tins to hold bulk baking ingredients.
      I save old tins to keep all my bulk baking supplies and master mixes stored. I have been doing this since I began house keeping 32 years ago. As the years have passed and my supply list has expanded, my pantry shelves are filled with Christmas card-like images that really put you in the mood to create delicious things in the kitchen. This tin contains all purpose flour.

      Notice that I left spaces uncovered at the top and bottom of the shaker container. This will come in handy when I need to know how much I still have in my container.

See how easy it sprinkles across the dough board? The flour goes just where I want it!
     As an after thought, I went back and glued a little glitter over the roses on the paper, but that's just me. I tend to put glitter on just about every craft project that I work on. And now that I have such a neat and pretty little flour shaker, I believe I will have to continue on this jag trend by making a shaker for cinnamon sugar and maybe my house blend seasonings.Oh yeah, and I will eventually get around to making one for sprinkling the carpet freshener!

Traveling at the speed of life.
Thanks for visiting, and come back and see us again real soon!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...